This Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Rice is the perfect recipe for a quick, healthy weeknight dinner. Throw it in your slow cooker and dinner will be ready in a few, short hours!
To be honest, I’ve never been one to opt for crockpot recipes since I love cooking dinner at the end of the day. Call me crazy, I know. But, this recipe has been a game changer. I’ve made on repeat, lately, because it’s that good- mouthwateringly delicious and SO easy to make!
Is the Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken & Rice Healthy?
This recipe is packed with healthy sources of protein, carbohydrates, and fatty acids. So, yes, not only is it “healthy,” but also nutrient-dense and well-balanced. As a result, your blood sugar levels will stay steady and you’ll feel energized and satisfied!
What’s in the Salsa Chicken Dinner?
This recipe is as basic as it gets- at least when it comes to the ingredients. Here is what you need:
- Chicken thighs
- Chicken stock
- White rice
How to Cook Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Dinner
If you’ve ever used a slow cooker or crockpot, you know what to do.
- Pour the rice and chicken stock in the slow cooker.
- Add chicken and spices. Top with salsa.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, transfer the chicken to a plate and shred. Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Serve with your favorite toppings: avocado, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, more salsa, etc.
- 1.5 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 16 oz salsa
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Crushed corn tortilla chips
- More salsa
- Spray the slow cooker with avocado oil or ghee. Add the garlic cloves to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add rice and chicken stock. Place chicken on top. Season the chicken with sea salt, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, orgeano, and smoked paprika. Pour salsa on top.
- Set the slow cooker on high for 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, scoop out the chicken thighs and shred. Place back in the slow cooker.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!