Earlier this week, on April 14th, Blake and I celebrated the 3rd anniversary of the day we met, back in 2015. 3 years, already. Holy smokes. Where does the time go?
The first weekend we met, we went dirt biking together (also, with my younger brother- I can’t even imagine what was going through his head that day, ha), then we enjoyed well-earned Chipotle for dinner. Sure, I love farm-to-market restaurants, a good glass of wine, and candlelight dinners, but I can also appreciate a delicious burrito bowl from Chipotle. Especially when you’re too wiped from a long, hot day of dirt biking. Some days a to-go burrito bowl is better than high-heels and five star dining.
So, why am I telling you all of this?
Well, it just so happens that this recipe, Fajita Bowls with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, was inspired by my go-to Chipotle order- a burrito bowl, hold the rice and beans, and throw on all the fajita veggies, salsa, and guac. Ironically, this week 3 years ago, I enjoyed my favorite Chipotle meal with my future hubby, for the first time. The timing just seemed to be perfect!
This recipe is a Paleo-approved, gluten-free, and dairy-free take on the traditional Mexican dish. If you’re not following a Paleo or gluten-free diet, feel free to chow down on some real brown rice. However, if you ask me this Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice it pretty, darn yummy.
- 4 large chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped finely*
- 2 large red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes**
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime
- 2 tbs finely chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 tbs olive oil or ghee, divided in half
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking tray/dish with tinfoil and nonstick spray. Place chicken breasts on tinfoil and season both sides with sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip chicken breasts, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1/2 the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the chopped garlic and jalapeno for 1-2 minutes. Add the sliced bell pepper and onion to the skillet. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Continue to saute until thoroughly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped cauliflower to the skillet and season with sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Saute until the cauliflower begins to turn translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Squeeze the juice of 1 lime over the cauliflower and sprinkle the cilantro on top. Set the sauteed veggies and cauliflower rice aside.
- When the chicken is finished baking, let sit for 5-10 minutes. Then, transfer to a large cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken breasts.
- To build your bowl, layer cauliflower rice, sauteed bell pepper and onions, shredded chicken, chopped tomatoes, and avocado. Top with additional cilantro and, if you like spice, a little hot sauce.
- *I buy a 16 oz bag of pre-chopped "cauliflower rice." If you do not follow a paleo or gluten-free diet, you can use brown rice.
- **You can use your favorite salsa instead.