I’m filled with a special kind of joy when the weather turns cold and crisp. Fall and Winter are the months that I thrive. Along with cozy nights by the fireplace, cheesy Hallmark Christmas movies, and ugly sweater parties, seasonal Winter foods are partly to blame for my love for this time of year. Just to name a few: every kind of winter squash, sweet pomegranate, freshly baked pumpkin bread, mulled wine and hot chocolate, homemade gnocchi, and hearty chili.
What is the Paleo-ish Packed Winter Salad?
If you know anything about me by now, you know that I love seasonal fruits and veggies. As I recently shared with my clients, I truly believe the holiday season doesn’t have to wreck havoc on your health. Eating seasonally helps provide our body with the best nutrients of the season!
I made this Paleo-ish Packed Winter Salad for this year’s Friendsgiving celebration. It was the perfect addition to corn casserole, smoked turkey, and mulled wine. Each bite includes a little sweet and savory, which in my opinion, is the best kind of bite.
What’s in the Paleo-ish Packed Winter Salad?
For the most part, all the ingredients are paleo-friendly, except for the goat cheese. Personally, I eat about 85% paleo. Since I absolutely love goat cheese and felt strongly it would add essential flavors to the salad, this recipe technically is not 100% paleo. If you cannot eat dairy, feel free to omit the goat cheese or substitute with your favorite dairy free cheese.
- 16 oz arugula, butter lettuce, or your favorite lettuce blend
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 avocados, cubed
- 1/3 cup goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 2 tbs coconut aminos
- Preheat oven to 400F and coat a baking tray with tinfoil and nonstick spray. Evenly pour the butternut squash cubes onto the tray, season with sea salt and black pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping halfway through. Remove from oven and let cool.
- To prepare the salad, add spinach and arugula to the a large salad bowl. Top with cooled butternut squash, pomegranate seeds, avocado, and goat cheese.
- For the dressing, combine the avocado oil and coconut aminos in a mason jar or dressing container. Tightly screw on the lid and shake well. Lightly drizzle the dressing on top of the salad before serving.