Pumpkin is the way to my heart. But, pancakes are a close second. No wonder slow, Fall Saturday mornings are my favorite time of the week. It’s the perfect time to savor and enjoy these light, fluffy, and sweet Paleo Honey & Pumpkin Pancakes!
I really love my balanced egg breakfasts every morning, (learn more here), but come Saturday morning I’m craving a little something different. A little something sweeter. These pancakes hit the spot and are made without any grains, dairy, or artificial sweeteners (just local honey).
They are a tasty, satisfying, Fall-approved way to start any day!
In the spirit of transparency, it’s true what they say: you win some, you lose some. And apparently, creating paleo pumpkin pancakes is no exception. Let me explain my series of attempts to get this recipe just right.
Pancake Attempt #1
I whipped up my first batch before realizing the tapioca flour was expired, by over a year. Not knowing the effect it would have on the texture and flavor of the pancakes, I decided to toss the batch and re-try.
Pancake Attempt #2
I replaced the tapioca flour with not-expired coconut flour. The result: mushy, fall-apart pancakes. They still tasted good, but the texture was far from perfect.
Pancake Attempt #3
I bought a new bag of tapioca flour and re-made the first recipe. Third time’s a charm because they turned out amazing: slightly sweet from the honey with a hint of pumpkin, soft and fluffy like pancakes should be.
You can top off the pancakes with honey, pecans, apples, bananas, berries, or dark chocolate chips. But to be honest, I really like them plain. They have so much flavor on their own, they don’t need the company of anything else- maybe just a cup of freshly brewed coffee.
Here’s to slow, cozy, Fall Saturday mornings!
PS If you’re looking for the perfect Fall on-the-go breakfast, try my Perfect Paleo Pumpkin Bread!
Paleo Honey & Pumpkin Pancakes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 tbs honey preferably local
- 2 tbs ghee or coconut oil, melted plus 1 tsp to coat pan
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Optional Add-Ins and Toppings
- dark chocolate chips
- sliced bananas or apples
- more honey
- chopped pecans, or other nuts
- Combine and whisk all wet ingredients in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients and mix.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and coat with 1 tsp coconut oil or ghee.
- Pour batter into the skillet, about 1/4 cup at a time. You should get a total of 6-7 pancakes.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until small bubbles start to form in the batter. Flip and let cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve warm. Drizzle with honey and your favorite toppings!