Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins is the perfect recipe for the start of Fall. But, really, you can enjoy these bad boys year-round! This recipe couldn’t easier or tastier, so fair warning: you’re likely to become addicted after the first bite!
What are Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins are just like a traditional, homemade banana muffin, but they lack refined sugar and flour, gluten, and dairy. By using gluten free baking flour and honey (instead of sugar), you’re left with a nutritious, allergen-free, anti-inflammatory treat that you can enjoy guilt-free! Better yet, they don’t even taste gluten or dairy-free!
What You Need to Make Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
This recipe is so simple and easy. It only requires a handful of basics ingredients (that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge), like:
Gluten Free Baking Flour
I recently tried Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Flour and it’s quickly become my favorite gluten free baking flour. The texture and taste is always right on point. So much so, that you would never guess these muffins are gluten free!
You can’t make banana muffins without ripe bananas. Depending on your preference for sweetness, you can use yellow bananas or brown bananas. I prefer yellow bananas before they turn too sweet and mushy. But, the choice is yours!
Although the ripe bananas add quite a bit of sweetness, honey is the perfect compliment. Use less or more depending on how sweet you like your baked goods. I also recommend using raw, local honey to reap the anti-inflammatory, immune-boosting benefits!
You need one whole egg (at room temperature) for this recipe. If you forget to pull your egg out of the fridge ahead of time (like I always do), simply place your egg in a bowl of warm water for a few minutes to bring it to room temp.
Ghee or Butter
For dairy free, opt for clarified butter or ghee. If you can enjoy rah deliciousness of dairy without a care in the world, you can use real, grass-fed butter. Alternatively, you can try using coconut oil.
Baking with Honey Instead of Sugar
Honey is my sweetener of choice. Preferably, raw and local honey, as it’s rich in antioxidants to lower inflammation and boost immunity. Raw, local honey also helps your body adapt to local environmental allergens, which reduces allergy symptoms.
Although honey is my favorite sweetener, using it instead of sugar in baked goods isn’t typically a 1-for-1 swap. When baking with honey (in place of conventional sugar), keep these tips in mind:
- Reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees F to avoid burnt goods.
- Use less honey than sugar. If your recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, use 1/2 cup honey, as honey is naturally sweeter than sugar.
- Include 1/4 tsp baking soda for every 1 cup honey used, if the recipe doesn’t already use baking soda.
- If the recipe calls for other liquids, reduce the other liquids by 1/4 cup for every 1 cup honey.
How to Serve Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
Since these muffins are so simple and easy, they can be enjoyed for a variety of reasons, including:
- For breakfast or brunch with a side of eggs and bacon
- As a midday school or work snack
- As a healthy dessert, topped with melted ghee, berries, chocolate chips, and or chopped nuts
However and whenever you decide to serve these Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins, I guarantee they’ll be delicious!
Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins
Healthy Gluten Free Banana Muffins is the perfect recipe for the start of Fall. But, really, you can enjoy these bad boys year-round! This recipe couldn't easier or tastier, so fair warning: you're likely to become addicted after the first bite!
- 2 cups GF flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ceylon cinnamon
- 3 large bananas, mashed (or 4 medium)
- 1/4-1/3 cup honey or maple syrup (depending on your preference for sweetness)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup ghee or grass-fed butter, softened
- Dark chocolate chips
- Coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Line your muffin tin with liners or spray with oil.
- Combine all dry ingredeints in a large bowl. Mix all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and combine. Do not over mix.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.