I have a mile-long list of recipes that I want to create for the blog. Every time a new recipe idea pops into my head, onto the list it goes. Unfortunately, there just aren’t enough hours in the day. So, the list keeps growing.
This recipe for Buffalo Chicken Sweet Potato Skins has been on the list for far too long. But, it is well worth the wait. These potato skins are pure gold. Pure, sweet, salty, and spicy gold. If buffalo wings are your thing, then you will quickly understand what I mean.
Combining two of the best bar foods, buffalo wings and potato skins, into a (healthy) one-stop shop is definitely one of my better ideas. Even my ever-so-picky hubby agrees (and approves)! These sweet potato skins are a little sweet and salty, perfectly crispy, and stuffed with shredded buffalo chicken.
And, y’all know how big a fan I am of meal prepping. It saves a ridiculous amount of time throughout the work/school week, helps you stay on track with your nutrition/fitness goals, and hopefully saves you a little pesos. So, would I be doing my job if this recipe wasn’t meal prep-friendly? No, of course not. Here’s how I do it:
- Write down the ingredients you need for the coming week and make one large grocery haul.
- Bake a week’s worth of chicken breasts in the oven.
- Microwave a week’s worth of large sweet potatoes.
- Assemble according to the directions below and store in air-tight containers for the week.
Could it be any simpler?!
I hope y’all enjoy this recipe as much as Blake and I do. It’s rare to find a meal that we both enjoy (Mr. Picky and Mrs. Eats Anything), so it’s most-definitely a new staple meal in our home.
- 1 lb chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup Frank's Buffalo Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with tinfoil.
- Lightly coat chicken breasts with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Pour 1 tbs olive oil in a skillet and heat over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until the onion begins to turn translucent. Add celery and season with sea salt and black pepper. Continue to saute until completely cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Cut an 1" slice in each potato and microwave for 5 minutes. Rotate and microwave for another 2-3 minutes, or until soft.
- Once cool enough to handle, slice the potatoes in half long-wise. Scoop out the majority of the potato flesh and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- When the chicken is finished baking, remove from the oven and set the oven to broil. Shred the chicken with two forks. Add the shredded chicken to the large bowl with the potato flesh.
- Place the 4 potato skins on the second baking sheet, skin side down. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. Broil for 5 minutes. Flip onto the flesh side down and broil for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add the sauteed onion and celery to the chicken and potato mixture. Pour in Frank's Buffalo Sauce and mix well.
- Carefully and evenly, scoop the chicken mixture back into the potato skins.
- Serve with Primal Kitchen Ranch Dressing, a dash of cilantro, or shredded mozzarella cheese.