Several weeks ago, Blake and I had some friends over for dinner. I’m usually a plan-ahead kind of girl, but this time, the preparation just didn’t happen. Having pulled the menu together at the last minute, I wasn’t sure what the result would be. I ended up throwing a few ingredients into a cast iron skillet, hoping for the best, and thank goodness, it worked out pretty darn well (can’t say that it always does). Luckily, our guests were impressed and enjoyed the dish!
And.. you guessed it, that make-shift dish just so happens to be the new recipe for Bacon & Apple Brussel Sprouts! Don’t you just love when a last-minute, hodge-podge dish turns into a winning recipe?! I sure do.
Fortunately, it’s hard to go wrong with brussel sprouts. They are definitely one of my favorite vegetables. I just can’t understand how some people are brussels-haters! However, I’m pretty confident that brussel sprouts are impossible to not enjoy when combined with bacon. I mean, bacon makes every taste better. Right?
This recipe for Bacon & Apple Brussel Sprouts is SO easy, requiring only a few ingredients and just one large skillet. It is the perfect side dish to almost anything: steak, salmon, eggs, pork tenderloin, burgers, etc. Or you can simply enjoy it as a meal, all by itself! As of lately, I’ve actually been eating these brussels for breakfast, paired with a hard-boiled egg. Yum!
- 12 oz bacon (nitrate-free), chopped
- 1 lb brussel sprouts, halved
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Granny Smith apple, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add chopped bacon. Cook until the bacon begins to turn golden-brown in color.
- Add brussel sprouts, red onion, and garlic. Sauté for about 6-8 minutes, or until the onion starts to turn translucent. Meanwhile, turn the oven onto broil.
- Add the chopped apple to the skillet, season with sea salt, and pepper, and place the skillet in the oven to broil for about 5 minutes. You want the top layer crispy!
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.