Teriyaki is easily one of my all-time favorite dishes. As a high schooler, I remember going to Panda Express on the reg and I was all about the chicken teriyaki and fried rice. But, nowadays? You better believe I would not be caught dead in a Panda Express. Enter: home-made paleo teriyaki chicken!
This delicious dish is paleo-approved (free of grains, dairy, and added sugar) and it literally takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish! Don’t believe me? I actually prepped, cooked, photographed, and cleaned up this meal all while talking to my mom on the phone. In total, our phone call lasted 40 minutes and actual cooking accounted for about half of that time. Pinky promise!
Before you get started, I just want to note a couple things:
- You can substitute riced cauliflower for traditional white rice, if you want. Just follow the package’s instructions and add the rice to the recipe in place of riced cauliflower.
- The smoked paprika and coconut aminos are key in this recipe- I don’t recommend substituting here! Both items can be found at your local grocery store, but if all else fails you can find them online (see below).
- Also, I want to point out that coconut aminos are different than Bragg’s liquid aminos! Coconut aminos have a sweet taste- more similar to teriyaki. Bragg’s liquid aminos taste more like soy sauce. You can try substituting here, but I haven’t tried it.
To prove just how yummy this recipe is, I have to share my sweet-but-picky husband’s response: “Hey babe, is this a new recipe? It tastes just like the teriyaki chicken from those asian places in the mall! It’s really good!” LOL, yes, I’ll take that as a compliment!
Alright, I’m off to enjoy a long weekend in California, so I’ll catch y’all next time. Enjoy!
30-Minute Paleo Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
- 2 tbs ghee or coconut oil
- 1.5-2 lbs chicken thighs boneless, skinless
- 3 large broccoli florets stalks removed
- 2 cups riced cauliflower** fresh or frozen
- 5 medium carrots sliced or diced
- 1/2 large white onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper divided
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- On a large cutting board, cut chicken thighs into 1" cubes. Set aside.
- On a separate cutting board, dice and chop broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic. Set each aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbs ghee or coconut oil. Add onion and carrots. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbs ghee or coconut oil in another large skillet and add chicken. Season chicken with garlic powder, smoked paprika, half of the sea salt, and half of the black pepper. Saute for 10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add broccoli, riced cauliflower, garlic, and the remaining sea salt and pepper to the vegetable skillet. Add 1/4 cup water, cover with lid, and reduce heat to low. Let steam for 10 minutes.
- Back to the chicken, pour the coconut aminos over chicken skillet and let simmer for 5 minutes, continuing to saute chicken.
- Once the chicken and vegetables are thoroughly cooked, make your bowl. Start with veggies and cauliflower rice at the bottom. Top with chicken and leftover "sauce" in the skillet.