To be completely honest, mashed potatoes typically aren’t my jam. That is, until the night I decided to make mashed potatoes from scratch for Blake. Apparently, it’s boxed mashed potatoes that aren’t my jam. Mashed potatoes made from scratch are a different story.
Making mashed potatoes the second time around, I used dairy free ingredients, knowing I couldn’t help myself from trying a few bites. And, what do ya know? They tasted phenomenal- like you won’t even taste the difference, phenomenal!
The third time around, I decided to throw cauliflower in the mix, in effort to cut down on calories and carbs, and add some micronutrients to the dish. Another win in the books! These Paleo Mashed Potatoes are fluffy, yet creamy, and totally tasty.
This recipe does include potato and cauliflower. However, if you would prefer to solely use potatoes, that works, too! Just double the amount of potatoes (about 3 lbs).
These made-from-scratch potatoes are the perfect side to your favorite protein dish. My favorite mashed potato pairing is pork tenderloin or salmon. So decadent (and guilt-free)!
- 1.5-2 lbs russet potatoes
- 12 oz cauliflower, riced (frozen or fresh)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbs ghee
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, divided
- With a fork, pierce the potatoes several times. Place them on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 4 minutes. Rotate and continue to microwave for another 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your potatoes, you may need to repeat this step one more time.
- Meanwhile, in a pot, heat ghee over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and riced cauliflower. Sauté until the cauliflower is translucent. Add in 1/2 cup milk and mix.
- Once the potatoes are soft and cooked through, you can peel the skin if you wish (I like keeping the skin on). Add the potatoes to your pot and stir into the cauliflower. Use a potato masher to mash well. Slowly add the remaining milk and continue to mash. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- Serve warm along side your favorite main dish (my favorites include salmon and pork tenderloin).